First, I was thinking, since I already have a CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) I could stay in New Zealand and teach international students here, or I could go to Japan and teach English there.
There are many different programmes that I could go with for teaching English in Japan, and many different websites where I can find more information- www.gaijinpot.com, and www.workinjapan.com.
Jet
These programmes place you in schools, and local governments around Japan, and help you with accomodation. There is a very strict application process.
Another option is staying on at AUT and studying translation.

Here is a little information about the course I have been looking into, although I would have to wait until I finish my degree to get into the course, as that is the minimum requirement.
Certificate in Translation Studies
Introduction to Language Study (165105) and Theory, Principles and Practice of Translation (167007). The programme enables students to develop a greater understanding of the real nature of language and translation, comprehension of the many phases of the translator’s task and establishes appropriate methods of translation over the widest possible range of texts and categories.
1 Year Part time
Diploma in Interpreting and Translation
The Diploma in Interpreting and Translation has been designed to be taken part time over two years, but it can be taken as a full time programme of study in certain cases. This is a comprehensive course designed to prepare professional interpreters and translators to work in a variety of community settings in New Zealand or to carry out a range of translation assignments for clients both in New Zealand and overseas.
1 year full time / 2 years part time
_________________________
Or I was thinking, I could work in a Japanese Travel Agency, either in Japan or I could start my own business here.

I met a Chinese woman during my CELTA course who did a similar thing, but a Chinese travel agency. Her business was very successful, and she was able to do teaching on the side.
Anyway as I said, I don't know what I want to do yet, I am figuring it out along the way. Maybe one day something will just jump out at me, but for now I am happy just looking into my different options, and seeing what is available for me.
Information and Images Courtesy of:
- www.aut.ac.nz
- www.wikipedia.org
- www.jetprogramme.org
- www.traveltoucan.com/files/Japan-flag.gif
3 comments:
You have so many options of what to do, maybe you should write a pro/con list for each one - help make up your mind.
By the way, I'm liking the top picture on this page, linked me to Wikipedia - great way for me to learn more about what you are passionate about :)
I like it. a great job for you would be in travel in tourism somehow mixed with japanese-a great melange of interests that would get you out of bed in the morning :)
haha yes
Post a Comment