Kinkaku-ji

Kinkaku-ji
The Golden Temple, Kyoto, Japan. One of the many amazing places I visited on my Japanese Exchange 2004. Click on the image for more information

Friday, September 26, 2008

My Tattoo

Last year, while I was holidaying in Samoa (from Australia) I decided to get myself more immersed in the Samoan life by doing something that is famously part of their culture... getting a tattoo. Of course, since I am not Samoan I didn't get a Samoan tattoo,(I think it is traditionally not acceptable for someone to get a Samoan tattoo who is not Samoan) but instead a map of New Zealand on my back.

Since then I had been thinking of another tattoo I wanted to get (its true: once you get one tattoo, you become addicted), and I really wanted it to be something that means a lot to me, so I chose a Japanese Kanji "あい"(AI) meaning "love".



When I was getting this tattoo, the guy at the tattoo shop (Ballistic Tattoo- Queen St)asked me why I was getting this particular tattoo.

I thought about it for a minute, and then replied 'Japanese is such a HUGE part of my life, and something I see myself continuing with for life, and I just wanted to have something that truely means a lot to me tattooed on my body'.

And thats the truth.
本当ね!

1 comment:

Julie said...

good to see you got something that meant something to you-I also like your NZ tatoo-it's really cool!