Kinkaku-ji

Kinkaku-ji
The Golden Temple, Kyoto, Japan. One of the many amazing places I visited on my Japanese Exchange 2004. Click on the image for more information

Monday, September 29, 2008

Things I love about Japanese Culture Pt 2

Part 2:

Love of Religion

Religion is basically the founding of Japanese culture. The main religions in Japan are Shinto and Buddhism.
Most Japanese people don't neccessarily align themselves with only one religion, but instead incorporate the practices of each religion into their everyday lives.

Shinto originated in Japan, and means "Way of the Gods". Shintoism is practised at a Shrine, and every Shrine has a red gate as you enter.


The Shinto gate shown here is very famous in Japan, because it is situated in the water coming in to Miyajima Island, Hiroshima. It is the gate to the Itsukushima Shrine.









Shinto Priests




Buddhism came from Baekje, Korea to Japan around 500AD, the Baekje king sent the Japanese emperor a picture of the Buddha, and the Japanese began to build many statues and temples in Nara and Kyoto.




Kiyomizudera, a famous Buddhist temple in Kyoto.





I love the way that religion in Japan is so prominent, and the way they have preserved old shrines and temples. It is very peaceful to be in that atmosphere, especially in Kyoto.

Ginkakuji '銀閣寺' (The Silver Pavillion), Kyoto. When I was in Japan I was lucky enough to visit this Buddhist temple, along with the one shown at the top of the page, Kinkakuji '金閣寺'.
Ginkakuji was built by Ashikaga Yoshimasa, who was trying to out do his grandfather who had the authority in building the Golden Temple, Kinkakuji.

I think its religion is something you can always learn from, and the way Japanese people practise both of these religions, almost without even realising it, on a daily basis amazes me. There is so much history in both Shinto and Buddhism, it may not necessarily be ALL Japanese history, but it is very interesting.









  • Images and Research Courtesy of:



1 comment:

Julie said...

I have never heard of shinto, sounds very interesting...is it only a japanese religion? and are many japanese religious?